Children learn best through play. They flex their social/emotional muscles as they engage with their peers and teachers. We focus on giving children opportunities to practice conflict resolution, cooperation and empathy.
Mission and Vision
Framingham Centre Nursery School provides a high-quality preschool program which meets the needs of diverse families in the Framingham area. Our developmental curriculum encourages each child’s individual growth through socialization and hands-on experiences in a nurturing and safe environment. This program has been in place for over 60 years and FCNS continues to develop a curriculum to meet the changing requirements of the community.
A place where children can flourish through exploration and play, using our outdoor spaces as a natural resource. We value peace and respect. We are mindful of our diversity and our children learn in a joyful environment.
What sets us apart
- Part-time and Full-time programs available with options Before- and After-School Care.
- Toilet trained is NOT required
- Family events 3 times a year – Trunk-Or-Treat in October, a Winter Celebration in January and an end of the school year family concert in June
- Active Parent involvement
- Warm, experienced and nurturing staff with diverse experiences and backgrounds
- Low teacher: student ratios
- 5 acres of wooded areas and trails within the property afford excellent opportunities for nature and science studies
- Shallow streams and a small pond provide opportunities to learn about the habitats of frogs, snails, salamanders, birds and wildlife
- Elements of an old garden from when the property was part of the Wallace Nutting Estate, Nuttingholme.
- A large, fenced-in playground
- Each class has a designated outdoor space and an indoor space for when it is dangerous to be outside.
What we provide
Framingham Centre Nursery School offers a program designed to meet all of your child’s needs. The goals which provide the foundation for our program are:
- To treat each child as a unique person worthy of respect
- To provide a safe and positive environment where each child can reach his/her own potential
- To provide programs and opportunities that stimulate and encourage creativity, curiosity, divergent thinking and self-reliance
- To support and encourage each child’s cognitive, emotional, physical and social development
- To provide a creative setting where children can both learn and play
- To provide an atmosphere where children can build a foundation for future success
- To nurture the joy of learning
Framingham Centre Nursery School (FCNS) was started in 1963 by First Parish in Framingham to provide a program for young children at a time when there were few in the area. Since then both our reputation for excellence and our school have grown.
Private Non-Profit Preschool
In 2006, Framingham Centre Nursery School (FCNS) became a non-profit independent corporation, while still maintaining the same excellent facilities, programs and staff. In April 2009, FCNS became a 501(c)(3) organization.
The move to a nature-based model
With the support of the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care (EEC), Framingham Centre Nursery School started exploring a nature-based education model in 2017.
In the Fall of 2018, we opened one Tues/Thurs half day Pre-K class that was based outside in our woods. It was well received by parents and the class moved to all 5 mornings in the Fall of 2019.
Our goal was to transition most of our 7 classrooms to be outside for a majority of the day over a couple of years but then the COVID-19 pandemic hit. In the Fall of 2020, we opened with 3 classrooms that were all outdoors.
While we continue to have indoor spaces, our classes are outside 100% unless it is dangerous to do so (example: thunderstorms, extreme winds, frostbite temperatures, etc).
To learn more about our Nature-based philosophy – click here.